About this Blog

The purpose of this blog is for my personal use. It serves as my personal diary as I investigate Chinese internet/gaming companies for investment purpose. If you have any comments or disagreement, please give me feedbacks.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

NTES 4Q2008 Revenue Prediction Error


Based on my weekly tracking of NTES's game servers, I made a prediction of NTES's game revenue. You can find it here:

http://chinese-net-gaming-stock.blogspot.com/2009/01/ntes-games-4q2008-prediction.html


Boy, was it a horrible prediction, talking about completely off the mark. I tabulate my prediction, compared with the actual result, in the following table:



4Q08

Predicted Game Revenue (M)

110

Actual Game Revenue (M)

98.6

% Error

11.6%

Predicted XY2 ACU (k)

211

Actual XY2 ACU (k)

197

% Error

7.1%

Predicted XYQ ACU (k)

713

Actual XYQ ACU (k)

625

% Error

14%

Note: 62 of 65 days of summer holiday occured in 3Q08.


The above table shows that my prediction was absolutely horrible.


Every week, for 2 to 3 days a week, I got up early in the morning and late at night to track NTES's game server and obtain its statistics. It is an extremely time consuming work. It is very depressing that my final result is so far from the real data.


Going back, I think I understand the reason. The way I calculate the 4Q ACU (Average Concurrent User) is by comparing my measured statistics with the actual ACU from the 3Q. But by doing that, I no longer am able to take account the seasonal factor.


I can make year over year comparison, but that would introduce other problems. NTES increase its game server capacity from time to time. Therefore, the server statistics means different from that of a year ago.


There is a seasonal factor I need to account for. I need to figure out a factor to account for the summer holiday.


But for the mean time, I will no longer provide revenue predictions.

No comments:

FAQ

A test for now

Followers