My previous post on TL is here:
TL was a successful story in Sohu. Sohu gives TL’s chief designer (hired away from Kingsoft) plenty of time and resources to develop the game right. It is a game that will make a lot of money for Sohu investors.
But 2 things happened recently that might cast a dark cloud over it. I won’t talk about one because I need to investigate it more. But I will talk about the other now.
I think Sohu is starting to charge players now. First, its final stage of “close beta” is really an open beta. And now they are treating the open beta as commercial operations?
When in beta stages, players are not supposed to pay!
From the following official site:
TL had started to charge money for in game items. There are four places you can purchase the game card:
1. Internet Bar
3. Convenient Stores, Supermarket, and Newspaper Stand
4. Through Sohu’s Online Store: http://esales.sohu.com/online/tlcost/index.jsp
To purchase in-games items, go to the online stores (where you can buy goodies).
Not a lot of stuff yet, but I am sure they will add a lot more goodies as time goes by. Also, players who killed too many other players can lessen the punishment by paying game currency.
Some players had already started buying the game card already.
At this point, the game is still growing like crazy (nothing I ever seen before). I am pretty certain this game is going to be a blockbuster.
In the just concluded 1Q earning conference, Sohu said that there won’t be any revenue from TL in the 2Q. Now, it looks like there might be some significant revenues in the 2Q from TL after all.
I am sure it will make short term investors very happy. But is it necessary for Sohu to do this? It is awefully short-sighted of Sohu.
About this Blog
The purpose of this blog is for my personal use. It serves as my personal diary as I investigate Chinese internet/gaming companies for investment purpose. If you have any comments or disagreement, please give me feedbacks.
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (67)
- Sohu – TL – TL’s Peak Concurrent User estimate
- Sohu – TL – Reasons I think TL is popular
- Sohu – TL – Myths that TL is not popular
- Sohu – TL – Is its server counts for real?
- NTES - XYQ - server count
- Sohu – TL – Start charging money during open beta
- Earning Season
- SOHU – TL – Open Beta
- Ntes – TX2 – Progress 3 – What shall NTES do?
- Ntes – TX2 – Progress 2 – Development Direction
- Ntes – TX2 – Progress 1 - Status
- Sohu – TL – Game Prediction
- Sohu – TL – Game Progress
- ▼ May (13)